Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Battle of Gettysburg

The win at Chancellorsville energized me, so I pushed north. My plan was to deal the union a devastating blow, but I didn’t want to make take an aggressive battle too far in the enemy’s country. There were two main reasons for my gamble. In Pennsylvania there was food available to feed my men and their horses. Also if I didn’t attack the union soldiers first that would get us. I was pretty sure moving north would scare Hooker into defending Washington. Even so a gut feeling told me that something was going to go wrong. The soldier I sent to spy on the Union never returned, so I assumed it was safe. It was a stupid assumption on my behalf. Needless to say the Union army followed us and we were defeated. We lost well over a third of our army. Little hope remains.

In There Own Words: Civil War Commanders collected and edited by T.J. Stiles

The Long Road to Gettysburg written by Jim Murphy

7 comments:

  1. At the very least, admittance in the face of defeat is a thing to be sullen over. I hope that later on in our campaign you would heed my advice and act upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, General Lee, are an utter fool. Though I care not if you waste the lives of your men so easily but I find it difficult to believe that you would utilize such a stupid tactic. I wish you all the luck in destroying your army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert E. Lee,

    Your days part of the Confederacy are coming to an end. I advise you now to step down as general and come to peaceful terms immediately. Submit now to the United States government and warn all confederate troops to do the same. This war does not need to be fought any longer. Surrender.

    ~Your President

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not speak like that General Lee. You must not give up hope. We still have a chance at winning this war.

    R O'N Greenhow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must agree. This battle was meant to be a victory for you, but unexpected incidents occurred. There is little hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. General Lee I would like to thank you for your hard work through all of this. This is a time when we need to be especially strong and band together. I'm sorry that your campaign north was such a loss, but I would still like to thank you for being such a great leader of our army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Lincoln: You are not my president, Davis is.
    @ Sherman: Second only to my wish of preserving the south is killing you.
    @ Greenhow and The Charleston Mercury: Thank you for support.
    @ President Davis: I agree
    @ Longstreet: Who do you think you are?

    ReplyDelete