Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Battle of Chancellorsville

This took place from April 30 to May 6.

My army and I met union soldiers at a ford in Chancellorsville, Virginia. No conversation passed between our opposing sides, but we gave a rallying cry as we attacked the Yankees. They appeared amused for a brief moment that went away, however, when we bombarded them with shells. They stood in perfect formation and fired upon us. Waves of men fell from each army but many more from our side. They were told to fire at will and I commanded my men to do the same. Then additional union soldiers attacked us on each side. We were tricked! Once again we were outnumbered 2:1.

I divided my army into sections to take out those sent to hit us on both sides. Surprisingly the union soldiers were the ones retreating. I had to tell my soldier, “That is the way you young men always do. You allow those people to get away. I tell you what to do and you can’t do it." To summarize as the Union Army was constantly being divided we held together. We were the victors in the battle.


Originally Printed in Civil War Times
http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-chancellorsville-day-one.htm

The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts. Burke Davis The Fairfax Press.

Originally Printed in Civil War Times
http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-salem-church-final-federal-assault-at-chancellorsville.htm

4 comments:

  1. You held together, but yet Stonewall was shot by your own men? That's what you call holding together? I dare not.
    Your time will come Lee. You cannot rebel against the Union forever.

    ~Abe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have won the battle, General Lee but you also lost your best second-in-command. Maybe you should train your men better or you will lose more officers from your own soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for my absence in this crucial battle and am impressed on the same token that victory could be snatched from the unkind hands of fate. I am elated at the morale boosting victory of the Confederacy and hope to be better present for future tide turning battles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I congratulate you on your victory, General. You have truly raised the hopes of your people. On a more somber note, I wish to offer my condolences for the death of your Lieutenant General Jackson. I know you two were very close.

    ReplyDelete