Monday, February 2, 2009

Surrender

By April 1 all supply routes for the confederate army had virtually been cut off. President Davis fled from Richmond. Despite losing a quarter of my army I pushed on. I was not ready for defeat. Even so, I had to admit that my men were only mortal. We needed supplies. I headed to Appomattox Station to gain supplies. We were encircled. Grant sent a letter asking me to surrender.

"General R.E. Lee, Commanding C.S.A.:
5 P.M., April 7th, 1865.
The results of the last week must convince you of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia in this struggle. I feel that it is so, and regard it as my duty to shift from myself the responsibility of any further effusion of blood by asking of you the surrender of that portion of the Confederate States army known as the Army of Northern Virginia.
U.S. Grant, Lieutenant-General"


In turn I replied:

"April 7th, 1865.
General: I have received your note of this date. Though not entertaining the opinion you express of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia, I reciprocate your desire to avoid useless effusion of blood, and therefore, before considering your proposition, ask the terms you will offer on condition of its surrender.
R.E. Lee, General."


I did not surrender outright, but to avoid more bloodshed I had to.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/appomatx.htm

The Civil War Battlefield Guide
Edited by Frances H. Kennedy

6 comments:

  1. At least you knew when this war needed to end. Do not think that your surrender was for the worst. It helped to reunite this nation and bring an end to this war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What! You have surrendered? This is surprising and saddening news, but somehow inevitable. This does explain why you didn't show at our rendezvous in Danville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is done. It is over. You made the right choice Lee, although you took too long. You could of avoided bloodshed years ago.

    ~Abraham Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for seeing the sense in terminating the bloodshed. I hope that the North and the South can begin to work together in the upcoming times to make our country whole and strong again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though our surrender is a horrible blow to our pride, at least the slaughtering is over. Somehow, the South will find a way to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a hard decision to make for you, but it will be better for the Union in the long range.

    ReplyDelete